Thursday 16 June 2011

A writing question?

This is a new segment where I will posing a writing question. If you have an answer let me know.
Do you need to go to a location to write about it? Of course I don't mean Mars or the bottom of the ocean, but what about Paris or Scotland or Israel.

I am writing an thriller set in Paris. I have been there but do not know the place intimately. Is it necessary? I can see the streets via Google Maps etc.
A well known author, Robert Ludlum takes photos, visits, lives, walks etc to get authenticity. In this day and age of the world wide web we can be anywhere we want, talk to anyone who will listen and travel in the comfort of our own home.
I think a good writer can convey a place without taking out a mortgage. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you like what you see please let me know, Ciao!