Tuesday 13 December 2011

Famous Authors who self published


Is self publishing a dirty word? Is it still seen as the back door to getting the book out there?
Here are a few of those now famous who did it themselves.
  • John Grisham, 
  • Stephen King, 
  • Amanda Hocking,
  • Oscar Wilde
  • Rudyard Kipling
  • George Bernard Shaw
  • Mark Twain
  • Beatrix Potter
  • Virginia Woolf

Self publishing stigma?
These days the stigma of self publishing is gradually going. Granted everyone who has ever written a book wants the big bucks and the big contract and the recognition that someone else besides their family thinks they are a genius, but with all the noise in the market about the publishing houses financial woes...well why not do it yourself
What first? 
There are numerous houses out there that will help you self publish. I went for LULU but there are others (listed below). You first need a manuscript that is perfect.  This sounds easy but it takes a bit of time to get it right. If you don't have it right then everyone will see the mistakes. Believe me I know!
So get it edited. Spend the money, ask a writerly person, an English teacher, or someone you trust. Do the line edit (a good blog for the steps).
Read the intructions
The computer stuff for Lulu is set out in easy steps. Follow them and use the help button. The formatting isn't hard and if you stuff it up then the ms gets rejected and they point you in the right direction to get it right. You can save and go back at any stage so its no hassle to go to the original and fix the problems. It took me three nights to read all the instructions, because I'm a stickler for thoroughness. I wanted to know where I was headed before I got down and dirty. Those three nights were invaluable. I read a number of the trouble shooting problems, the forums, the way people went about doing things and so when it was my turn I had all the fact.
DIY
I tried to query for my book Literary Licence but after 50 rejections I decided to self publish. The public reaction has been great. I purchased 80 copies and sold 60 in 60 days without really trying. 
I don't feel a failure. I feel I have put a good solid product on the market. I feel entrepreneurial and quite proud of myself. It is a start and I think I'm in good company. Am I fooling myself into thinking I'm as good as those above? Maybe, but we all have to start somewhere. I'm the original cynic, but if self publishing gets your work out there...after all, we are entertainers aren't we? And sometimes even the best play only gets a small house or a short run.
here are some Australian publishing houses for the self published

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you like what you see please let me know, Ciao!