Tuesday 11 September 2018

Createspace and the new shift to KDP

Moving to a new formatting for my books is a bit of a bother.

I publish via Createspace (CS) and I'll say I am very happy with the CS experience. Roaming around the site it all seems so easy.
But all good things come to an end and Amazon, the company that has CS under its umbrella is closing it down and moving all our books to KDP print.
Now this is just a sort of upgrade, on their part and they assure us that in time, ( KDP print is still in the beta stage) it will be a short three click step.
So I will wait with baited breath. 
But hang on. what about Ingramspark (IS) you say?
So I thought about going over to the other side...

To move my 12 titles to IS I will need to buy 12 ISBNs for the print versions and 12 for the (e) versions. IS have $85 for 1. 
Thorpe-Bowker  https://www.myidentifiers.com.au have bulk orders. I need 24 minimum and more in the future. So 100 ISBN cost $480. Then you need a bar code for the print copies. 10 = $400 + 2 from IS @$85 ea.
Then to upload to IS cost $49 per title $49x12 = 588
480
400
170
588=$$$$$  1638
If I moved to IS then I would need to change all the title pages and insert the new ISBN and then when I take up the IS expanded distribution (which includes Amazon) the book would register as a new title, ergo I lose all my star ratings etc. I have read that you can contact Amazon and get them merged. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

NOW 
Createspace give me an ISBN and  an AIN for the e version on Kindle. 
Admittedly IS have in the expanded distribution Ibooks and Barnes & Knoble which going exclusive with Amazon you don't get, but in my experience nearly every (E) reader fan has the kindle app on their devise.

So what to do. 
I think I will wait...and just see how KDP print performs. They are getting their act together as we speak and making it feel like the old CS experience.

As a side note:
I reside in France and you can get an ISBN or 30 for free from the relevant department. So I might be going foreign in the future.
WATCH THIS SPACE


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you like what you see please let me know, Ciao!