Friday 2 April 2010

A VERY GENEROUS REJECTION from Everyday fiction.



I was very pleased to receive this rejection. It is informative, educational and quite nice. Thanks to everyday fiction I can now rework my story to make it a longer piece. Isn't it nice to get sensible feedback.
#####

Dear Kerry Ashwin,

Thank you for your submission to Every Day Fiction. I regret to inform you that we are unable to use it at this time.

Some very competent writing here, and I loved the idea of Josh looking back on childhood memories from his desk. However, the piece read like it was part of a larger work rather than flash fiction. For ex, the section with filleting the fish with Dad seemed extraneous for a flash piece. I can see this piece working quite well as a full length short story, framed with Josh as an adult.
-- Carol Clark

Nicely written with some good character development. Unfortunately, though, this doesn't have the self-contained "complete story" feel that I like to see in flash fiction. I agree with Carol -- lots of potential for this as a longer piece. It could also be pared down further with the extraneous developmental stuff removed to work as flash, but I think it would lose some of its charm in that direction.
-- Camille Gooderham Campbell

We wish you good luck in placing the story elsewhere.

Sincerely,
All of us at Every Day Fiction
http://www.everydayfiction.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

if you like what you see please let me know, Ciao!